Okay, this will be a pretty short and sweet article.

As an EU, EEA, or Swiss resident it’s quite straight-forward to register as an economically self-sufficient resident in Malta.

Just make sure you meet the requirements, bring the necessary documentation, and show up at Identity Malta in the Evans Building in Valetta. Walk down the stairs to the lowest level, take the door to your right, and the last door on your left will be the section for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens registering as residents in Malta.

You’ll need to fill out an application form. You can either print it yourself, or show up at Identity Malta and get a copy there.

Make sure you fulfill the following requirements. They are in place so the Maltese government can feel confident that you won’t be a financial burden for them.


  • Either €14,000 in your bank account (most recent bank statement required), or €84.95 per week in stable income (6+ months of statements required) for single persons. For married couples, the requirement is capital of at least €23,300 or income of €93.10 per week. Bring originals and copies of your statements.
  • Health insurance covering both in-patient and out-patient treatment. Bring your insurance policy document.
  • A passport (or ID card) copy, plus the original to show the staff at Identity Malta.
  • A rental contract is not strictly required, but could be helpful to make sure your address is spelled correctly, etc.

That’s it. Bring all of the above to the Identity Malta office, and you’ll be able to register. You’ll have to submit it all at the same time, and they will take your biometric data for your ID/e-residence card.

You’ll be notified when your card is ready to be picked up.

I hope this short guide was useful. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions in the comments.